Monday, January 9, 2017

be ambitious for Christ

Plot twist: It is cold in Florida. This is not a drill. It is like 60 degrees outside and freaking cold. We are freezing and none of us are prepared to go back to Utah/Idaho and die at school. Sister Tilby and I were washing the cars this morning and we were bundled in sweats and socks and flip flops because its Florida and we have nothing warm. Who knew it could be this cold. We were knocking the other night and Sister Schiers and I both forgot our cardigans so it was the most miserable knocking session of my mission. We were trying not to look like we were freezing out there but still no one let us in, they all just told us to get out of the cold.

It was a good week besides these 3 days of freezing weather we have had. On Friday, we had to stay in because I got a migraine, but we went out and knocked and then ate dinner with some Haitians. Its a totally different culture and I understand zero creole but it was fun and loud. We also got a part member family set with a baptism date for the end of the month. The rest of the family got baptized last year and he is finally ready and the ward is very excited.

I didn't mention it in any of my emails but the week before Christmas, my recent convert Dorothy passed away from cancer. It happened a lot faster than anyone was expecting but the mission president called to tell me and Sister Dimond got to go to her funeral in Coral Reef. She said she looked beautiful and these last 4 weeks I have really been thinking about her and the plan that our Heavenly Father has for us. She was baptized October 21st and passed away right before Christmas, that's only 2 months later! But she found the truth and she knew it and she was prepared and not worried at all. I have definitely been able to feel her with me every step of the way this transfer and it has been amazing. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father gave me the opportunity to meet her and be a part of her journey. I know that God loves us and places people in our lives to help and strengthen us when we need it and His plan is perfect.

I also read a talk this week from last Conference called "Be Ambitious For Christ" and I love it. He starts off saying that he is talking to the young people of the church and the missionaries but I think it totally applies to everyone. Here are some snippets I loved:

(Talking about his son) "After he served for a year, we received an email that was an answer to our prayers. He wrote: “Right now I can really feel the love of God and of Jesus. I will work hard to become like the prophets of old. Though I am also experiencing a lot of difficulties, I am truly happy. Serving Jesus really is the best thing ever. There is nothing as wonderful as this. I am so happy.”

"In our lives we experience trials, but if we are ambitious for Christ, we can focus on Him and feel joy even in the midst of them. Our Redeemer is the ultimate example. He understood His holy mission and was obedient to the will of God the Father. What a choice blessing it is to bring His wonderful example to our remembrance each week as we partake of the sacrament."

I just love that! Serving Christ really is the best thing ever. I have been able to see it and feel it every single day as I serve the Lord and it has blessed me more than I could ever repay. I know that we can be happy through our trials and through difficulties if we rely on the Lord every. single. day.

1: We went to the pier last week! More pretty Florida beaches where the pictures don't do justice.

2: Sister Tilby!

3: The Fort Lauderdale temple is gorgeous. This was taken by another missionary but look at how gorgeous it is!

4-6: New Years pictures!



7: Sister Tilby, Halversen, and I!

8: More New Years!

9: When you all just look tired.


10: Pier + Wind = terrible picture

11: Look how blue it is!

12: All the sisters in the Jupiter zone!

No comments:

Post a Comment